Happy Sunday Ya’ll! Did anyone do anything fun this weekend? Oliver and I had a super chill weekend and stayed home for most of it. It’s been pretty rainy and dreary all day with not much to do. However, I did make this beautiful Blueberry Lemon Angel Food Cake which just screams SUMMER.
I couldn’t let blueberry season come to an end without creating something with fresh blueberries just one more time. Don’t get me wrong, I have frozen A LOT of blueberries, and I love making syrups and jams, but something about the burst of a fresh picked blueberry in your mouth is something you can’t experience in the winter. Sure, you can still find blueberries, but they tend to be underripe and let’s face it, extremely over priced.
When I was thinking about what to bake this morning my mind immediately went my family’s “go to” for any summer cookout. Somehow this cake just seems “festive” don’t you think? Like you could bring this to a Fourth of July party and immediately steal the show? Heck, you could bring this to any event and steal the show. It’s that GOOD.
This cake is bursting with sweet blueberries, tart with lemon, and so fluffy and light you won’t even feel bad you’re eating cake. No really, I promise.
Try it out and let me know what you think in the comment below 🙂
Blueberry Lemon Angel Food Cake
Angel food cake
- 5.3 oz sugar
- 3.5 oz cake flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 lb 1 oz egg whites, room temperature (about 14)
- 5.3 oz sugar
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2/3 cup blueberries
- 3 tbsps lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Sift together the first 5.3 oz of sugar, cake flour, and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip egg whites for 1-2 minutes. Add cream of tartar, lemon juice, vanilla, and the zest of one lemon. Whip for 1-2 minutes longer.
- Gradually add the remaining 5.3 oz of sugar into whipping egg whites. Continue to whip whites on high until stiff peaks form. (The whites should be very white and glossy)
- Very gentently FOLD flour mixture into whites. (This should be done by hand) Be very careful not to over mix or you will deflate your whites.
- Add half of your cake batter into an un-greased angel food cake pan. Top with 1/2 of the blueberries, pressing some of them beneath the batter. Repeat with remaining cake batter and blueberries.
- Bake at 350 degress for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Once removed from the oven, immediately invert cake pan. (I like to set the middle of the pan on a can of beans to ensure proper cooling) Let cool for 3 hours.
- While cake is cooling make the glaze by whisking together powdered sugar and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Once cake has cooled, run an offset spatula around the sides of the cake to help release. Place cake on serving plate and and top with glaze, fresh lemon slices and blueberries.