Rhubarb is either a love or hate thing and I feel like most people don’t like it for its tartness. If you’re a hater, I would bet with you that this tart would make you think differently.
This tart is on a whole other level guys. It’ll make non rhubarb lovers, rhubarb LOVERS. I got this recipe from my boss and will never search for another one again. This is the champion of all rhubarb desserts. This tart even made my mom a believer.
Fresh rhubarb is only available for a short time in Spring so make this while you have the chance ya’ll. Then thank me later.
What you’ll need:
10” round tart pan 1 1/4 inches deep
For the crust:
1 3/4 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
5 1/2 oz butter, room temp
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp salt
5 3/4 cups rhubarb, chopped
Apricot glaze, or glaze of your choosing. I mix mine with water to make it thinner and easier to brush on. (Seriously night and day with or without glaze, appearance wise. I highly recommend glazing it.)
Starting with the crust:
1. Cream together butter and sugar. Once creamed, add flour. Crust should be crumbly.
2. Press crust mixture into tart pan. (I like to use the bottom of a measuring cup to really get it packed down) Pre bake crust until golden brown at 350 degrees.
3. While crust is baking make custard filling. Beat together eggs, sugar and vanilla. Add flour and salt. Once combined stir in chopped rhubarb.
4. Once crust is golden brown, pour custard mixture into HOT crust. (HOT is key here, this tart won’t turn out right otherwise)
5. Bake until firm.
6. Chill & brush with apricot glaze