I’m welcoming in fall with open arms as I cozy up with a bowl of soup and dream about all things apple and pumpkin. This year may look a little different than most, but that doesn’t mean we still can’t celebrate. Plus, most fall activities are outside. Apple picking, pumpkin patches, corn mazes, tailgating… we can still do these things, we just have to be safe about it. No way is fall going to be canceled in my book. Not if I have anything to say about it.
One of my favorite things about fall, minus the fall activities, is warmer recipes. Whether that be warm in temperature or warm in spices, I’m all about it. It just feels homey to me. A sense of comfort. A sense of calming. Anyone else feel this way? It’s like the second the weather starts to turn, the first thing I want to do is put on fuzzy socks, turn on a Harry Potter movie, and make some kind of soup. I’m always trying new recipes out, but this Creamy Tortellini Soup with Chicken Sausage and Kale is definitely my go to.
Not only is this soup packed with flavor, this soup is one of my favorite fall recipes because of just how easy it is to make. Sometimes soup can be daunting with recipes taking 4-5 hours to make, and let’s face it, we don’t always have time for that. That’s where this soup comes into play. This Creamy Tortellini Soup with Chicken Sausage and Kale is done in less than an hour start to finish. Um hello, sign me up please.
Whether you need an easy weeknight meal, need to warm up on a cool night or just want to try something new, this recipe will be sure to satisfy you. Creamy broth, hearty kale, and cheesy pasta, there’s no going wrong.
Looking for other September recipes? Here are some ideas:
Try this recipe out and let me know what you think in the comments below. Happy Eating!
Creamy Tortellini Soup with Chicken Sausage and Kale
- 1 lb ground chicken sausage
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3 tbsps tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken stock, unsalted
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 cups kale, chopped, stems removed
- 12 oz fresh, cheese tortellini
- 1/2 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat in dutch oven or large pot. Add chicken sausage and brown 4-5 minutes. Add red bell pepper, onion and garlic. Cook until chicken is cooked through and veggies have softened.
- Pour in canned tomatoes, tomato paste and chicken stock. Stir together. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Season with salt, thyme, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Add heavy cream, kale, and tortellini. Cook 3-4 minutes.
- Serve with shaved parmesan cheese.